Thursday 3 October 2013

Reflection 4

The end….
Learning is amazing.  You always start out, thinking you know a bit, or maybe quite a lot and then discover you know next to nothing really.  In the end you know more than you did, but most importantly you know there is so much more out there to learn!

What I have learnt in this journey?
I think the key things I have learnt in this journey are;
1.       The pedagogy has got to change in order to take advantage of digital opportunities
2.       The planning and leadership required to effect that change is huge, but possible
3.       Despite the fact I can talk a lot, I’m not big on writing as much -



How did I learn them?
Stepping out of my comfort zone has been important and trying things that were not really my first choice.  I found the discussions on the Learn site fantastic, but struggled to follow the flow of ideas on twitter.  Blogging has been great, and I aim to carry on this train of thought beyond this course as it will be a great resource for me to return to as I try to improve my practice.  The valuable input from our lecturers has been noted by many participants and I agree it was a vital piece of this puzzle.  All of these aspects are supported by the reading I have been doing to find the trick of effective eLearning - time to play, support from peers, effective & knowledgeable leaders. 

I am including a link to my final essay - mainly so I can come back and remind myself what I have learnt when I am lost and not sure where to start again.  Hopefully it gets me a passing grade! I'll list some of my favourite articles at the end of this post

Where to from here?
Taking the theory into practice -   I have already started down the digital road – armed with enthusiasm, snippets of knowledge and many ideas.   Now I have a little more knowledge I know to look further than my school, taking in the big picture, while still noticing the little things.  I know to get in and get my own hands dirty, learning with my staff and giving them opportunities to lead as well.  I know to take time to play and explore and reshape.  I know to follow the data to focus on what is working.  I know to share my knowledge and enthusiasm.  And I know there are 1000 new ideas, just a tweet away!
Hopefully this will help make the path lead to greater success for my students, more fun for my staff, and more learning for me!


I'm really at the beginning... ready to help my class sing and dance!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Megan

    Thanks for sharing your assignment; it's really helpful to see what others have done as the course comes to an end. I enjoyed reading your research!

    Re your comment about Twitter; I definitely think it's worth persevering with. It took me a while to appreciate what it has to offer, but now I use it to follow all sorts of people, both for professional and personal interest. It really is a great way to stay up to date with the latest news in just about any topic or area that you might be interested in.

    Anyway, congratulations on finishing the course. Have a wonderful final term at school.

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan,
    Thanks for sharing the depth of your learning journey. It was our intention to push the learning experience outside of the traditional e-learning model as an authentic change experience. I commend your courage in risking a little, but coming out as a "better" educator - your insights on the need for change in pedagogical approaches to leverage the power of social media is a valuable experience to take forward in your career as educator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan,
    I love your final reflection, the video and the taxego tag cloud especially. Thanks for all your thoughts and questions, they have helped me along the way. I appreciate, as Tim says, that you have shared your assignment - I haven't looked at it yet, as I still have to finish mine - that is tomorrow's task.I love that balance between theory and practice that you are talking about - that, to me, is what we have been encouraged to find.

    ReplyDelete